There are many delicious ways to enjoy popcorn, but here’s a classic recipe for stovetop popcorn that is one considered one of the best.
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or coconut oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Optional toppings: melted butter, grated cheese, cinnamon, caramel sauce, other seasonings
- Place a large pot with a lid over medium heat and add the vegetable oil or coconut oil.
- Add a few popcorn kernels to the pot and cover it with the lid.
- Wait until you hear the kernels pop. This helps to determine if the oil is hot enough.
- Once the test kernels have popped, remove them from the pot.
- Add the remaining popcorn kernels to the pot and shake it gently to distribute the heat and oil evenly.
- Place the lid back on the pot and slightly vent it to allow steam to escape.
- Continue to shake the pot occasionally to prevent the popcorn from burning.
- As the popcorn starts to pop, keep shaking the pot intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- Once the popping slows down to about 2-3 seconds between pops, remove the pot from heat.
- Let the pot sit covered for a minute to allow any remaining kernels to pop.
- Carefully remove the lid, being mindful of any steam that may escape.
- Season the popcorn with salt while it’s all hot, shaking the pot gently to distribute the salt evenly.
- If desired, you can also drizzle melted butter or add other toppings like grated cheese, cinnamon, or caramel sauce.
- Toss the popcorn gently to mix the toppings.
- Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl or individual serving containers and enjoy!
Feel free to adjust the amount of oil, salt, or toppings according to your personal preference. Experiment with different flavors and seasonings to find your favorite popcorn recipe!
- Vegetable Oil or Coconut Oil
- Popcorn Toppings
- Stove-Top Popper
- Hot Air Popper
- Gourmet Popcorn Machine